Pages

.

Irish Soda Bread

Irish Soda Bread

I am on the Food Committee at Church.
(I know, you're surprised, right?)

We belong to St. Patrick's Parish, so every year St. Patrick's Day is a big deal.
They host a dinner at church, and this year they were looking for people to make Irish Soda bread.

I am not much of a bread baker, but I figured I would give it a whirl.
Turns out, I'm either better at it than I thought, or this recipe was just top notch.
(probably the latter...)

 cooling fresh from the oven



When I wasn't sure which recipe to use, I went to Pinterest to see variations of this traditional bread.

I found the recipe that I used at Green Eggs & Spam
I liked that it had a little bit of sugar to add to the sweetness of it, plus raisins.  
I LOVE Raisins!!


Irish Soda Bread

3 cups sifted cake flour
3 Tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins
1 1/3 cup of **buttermilk
(**I didn't have buttermilk so I made my own using the combination of 1 Tablespoon white vinegar to 1 cup of milk, use after it sits for 5 minutes)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper.

Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl.  
Add raisins and buttermilk, and combine. Dough is STICKY.
Turn onto a floured board and knead about 10 times. Don't over knead.

Place dough in lined pan, and score an "X" with a knife in the top.

Bake 60-65 minutes.

Cool and slice.

Eat bread in 1-2 days.  
Bread WILL NOT KEEP.

No comments:

Post a Comment