Pages

.

Dance Club

A few months ago, my Sports Fanatic brought a permission slip home to join the Dance Club.  His interest in joining caught me by surprise. 

I was concerned because in my "heyday", a Dance Club screamed "girl".  It was the kind of club myself and my chatty Kathy girlfriends would join.  And I can guarantee that not one boy would be in the club with us. 

Well, maybe one or two. 

Before I signed the slip, I inquired about this club.  I wanted to make certain some of his friends were joining since it was twice a week after school.  I wasn't about to listen to complaints about going to club two weeks into his commitment.

He assured me that he had friends joining this club.  I took his word for it and signed his permission slip.

For the next several weeks Hubby was on Dance Club pickup Mondays and Wednesdays.  We heard bits and pieces about his routine, but never saw much.

He was much too embarrassed to break into dance in our living room. 

All we knew was that he loved his afternoons at Dance Club, and he never once complained.  He told me on more than one occasion that he was thrilled he joined.  And that was all I needed to know.

This afternoon, after weeks of extended practices and questions from us, we packed into the family car and drove to his school.  It was "performance day".  I was nervous for him, a dance performance is certainly not a football game.  He had never performed for anyone unless we count his mandatory third grade holiday concert.

I was ready for this routine to be rather interesting.

But what we saw was an entertaining, well choreographed hip hop routine that had us smiling from ear to ear.  And it was snazzy to see that the boys outnumbered the girls, and those stinkers had some "moves". 

Times sure have changed since I was in school.  The stiff side rocking slow dance may just be a thing of the past.

It takes some guts to branch out and try something new, and many of these kids (boys especially) had never tried an organized dance class.  Watching them perform today was certainly the highlight of my week. 

This Mama left that gymnasium very proud of all the kids.  They did "Dynamite"!

No comments:

Post a Comment