Pages

.

Baked Chicken Taquitos


I have seen LOTS of taquitos on Pinterest. 
The baked ones always enticed me because they are healthier for you.
I have been watching what I eat over the last year, and have successfully lost about 40 pounds.
I still have 10 to go.

Summer has been hard on me with the lack of routine, and let's face it... too much food and drink.
My kids went back to school this week, and I have decided it's time to lose this last 10... NOW.
I am ready to maintain my goal number for the next year, not a number that's 10 pounds OVER my goal.

So I decided it was time to concoct some taquitos of my own, and make them fit into my low calorie/high fiber diet.


mmmm....goodness that is filling.

Baked Chicken Taquitos

5-6 chicken breasts, frozen is fine
1 (4 oz) can of green chilies + one can water
1 can Rotel tomatoes ( I used original, you can use the spicy if you want to heat them up some) + one can water
1 teaspoon cumin powder
10-12 taco sized flour tortilla shells (I always buy the Carb Balance Mission brand, they have 120 calories and 13 grams of fiber)
Shredded Cheese (I used fat free)

Place the chicken, chilies and Rotel and water in your crock pot.  Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on high, until the chicken falls apart, and shred with two forks.

Place meat in your strainer and squeeze the excess juice out.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

Warm your tortillas in a microwave for about 30-60 seconds so they are soft and easy to work with.


Lay one down and place about 1/3 cup of meat and 1/8 cup of cheese toward the bottom and spread it out in a row like shown.

Roll them up tightly from the bottom, and place them seam side down on your baking dish.
Continue with other tortillas.
I made 11 of them, because that is how many tortillas I had.  I had enough left over to make at least 6 more, but I put it in the refrigerator to use on salads, or in chicken tacos for lunches.

Spray the top of the taquitos with non-stick cooking spray.

Place in oven.



Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Watch them so your edges don't burn!!



Serve them with your favorite toppings: guacamole, sour cream, salsa, shredded lettuce etc...




We had ours with the batch of homemade Pico de Gallo I made the day before.

Enjoy!!

Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment