Pages

.

My Exercise Mentality

Every year, I run a pretty tight exercise ship from March until the end of October.  I run four or five miles several times a week.  I interval train and I run in local races.

Even if squeezing in a run means running at 6:30am, I am on the pavement.

Once the air turns crisp and the days get shorter I lose my rhythm.  Time slips away from me and the sneakers take a backseat to Ugg boots.  Running shorts are tucked away and jeans and sweaters call my name.

My obsessive "how will I squeeze in a run today?" voice dulls down and pretty soon days will pass without even a thought of exercise.

It's quite lovely.

Usually I spend November and December decorating, baking and shopping.  I run enough holiday purchases up and down the basement stairs to qualify as cardio.  I carry toddlers in stores and lug shopping bags in sub zero temperatures.

"Mommy Sweat" hits its annual peak.  And that is all I need until January rolls in.

Within reason, everyone needs a breather.  The pace has to slow and the body and mind need to regroup.  I don't advocate letting a fitness regime go, I advocate allowing the bare minimum for awhile.

The bare minimum is all that is needed when I'm wearing five layers every day.

This Spring, when the Earth begins to thaw and the sun is shining early, I will once again lace up the sneakers and hit the pavement.

For now I look forward to my "modified" exercise regime.  Holiday shopping bags, occasional treadmill, toddler lugging and everything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment