Pages

.

M&M Pretzel Cookies

Last week, while wasting more time on Pinterest, I saw a "pin" of a cookie with pretzel pieces baked in.  The cookie looked plump, chewy and succulent.

Naturally I decided a similar cookie was worth making.  Since I am fairly loyal to my current chocolate chip cookie recipe, I decided to work with mine rather than try a new one.  Change is frightening when it involves cookie making.

And sticks of butter are not cheap. 

The end result of my pretzel cookie experiment was exactly as I hoped it would be.

The cookies were a roaring success.

M&M Pretzel Cookies
(recipe can be halved)

Blend until creamy (minimum 2-3 minutes on medium high speed):
2 sticks butter, very soft
1 stick margarine, very soft
1 cup sugar
2 cups dark brown sugar

Add (one egg at a time) and mix well:
2 tablespoons vanilla
3 eggs

Turn mixer to LOW (the slowest speed you have available), and slowly add until JUST combined:
2 cups bread flour
2 cups all purpose flour (OR whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking soda

Measure 1 cup bite sized pretzels and break into pieces.  Repeat with M&M's.

Stir broken pieces by hand into cookie dough mixture.

Chill while you preheat oven to 350.

Once oven is ready, scoop generous amounts of dough onto cookie sheet.  Dough should be thick.  I prefer to make large cookies, because bigger cookies are better if you are limiting yourself to one.

Once cookies are ready for the oven, selectively push M&M's and pretzel pieces into each cookie.  No one wants the cookie with one M&M.

Bake 10-12 minutes, check cookies.  Remove from oven when centers are slightly raw, but edges are beginning to brown.  Let cookies sit on tray 2-3 minutes, allowing centers to set.

Cool completely on cooling rack.  Try to resist them.

I failed to resist, grabbed the largest one, and cracked open an ice cold Diet Coke.

And I enjoyed every last bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment