Pages

.

Not your Normal Tortilla Soup

When I was little we had some neighbors that lived across the street.  They were stationed at Offutt Air force base, and had been stationed all over the world. 
One thing I remember about the Mom was that she was a fabulous cook!  
My Mom got this recipe for tortilla soup from her, and this is the tortilla soup that I grew up on.

I thought all tortilla soup tasted like this one, until I grew up and had the more 
creamy based ones with chicken.

This is more of a spicy tomato based soup, seasoned with green chilies, chili powder and cumin.

It'll warm your bones right up!!

Perfect for Halloween, or a blustery Midwest day like today. 

I made this as well as homemade chicken noodle, and broccoli cheese for Halloween night.  
I will be having some leftover tortilla soup for lunch today, who wants to join me?

I am such a soup eater. I never get tired of it!

But the one thing about putting it on a blog, is that the photo never does it justice.

You'll just have to trust me on this, okay?


not your normal tortilla soup


Tortilla Soup

2 small onions, chopped
2 small cans of diced green chilies
4 cloves garlic minced
4 T vegetable oil
2, 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
3 beef and 3 chicken bouillon cubes
3 cups of water
3 cups of tomato juice
2 t. ground cumin
2 t. chili powder
2 t. salt
1/4 t. white pepper
4 t. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. bottled steak sauce
6 corn tortillas, cut in strips
shredded cheddar cheese

Saute onion, chilies and garlic in oil until soft. (about 5 minutes)

Add tomatoes, bouillon, water, juice, spices and sauces. 
Bring soup to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered for one hour. 

(or you can make this in your crock pot. After sauteing, add this mixture to others in your crock pot and cook on low all day)

Before serving add corn tortilla strips and 1/2 cup of cheese, simmer 10 minutes more.

Serve topped with cheddar cheese.






No comments:

Post a Comment