Pages

.

Ah Hong Pontian Bak Kut Teh in Pontian, Johor


Pontian wanton mee is now everywhere in Singapore and I just realised that there is also a restaurant in Tampines, Singapore that sells “Original Johor Pontian Bak Kut Teh” according to its signboard. I have yet to try the Singapore version of Pontian bak kut teh.


Well, since I was in Pontian to try out the original Pontian wanton noodles, I decided to check out the original Pontian bak kut teh as well. My Pontian friends highly recommend that I visit Ah Hong which is a well established bak kut teh shop in Pontian. The busy shop is always abuzz with customers from opening at till it closes at about .




When an order is made, the bak kut teh is scooped from large pots into smaller claypots and fast cooked in high heat.


The soup is light and not too oily – it is naturally sweet and has that distinct herbal taste and flavour. The soup actually has a subtle herbal zing which I have not tasted in other bak kut tehs before.


The meat with bones on is just the right firmness and natural sweetness – it is not that drop off the bone kind. At Ah Hong, the bak kut teh is served with good quality steamed rice.


This cut fresh green chili and chopped garlic with thick black soy sauce really enhances the flavour of the bak kut or meat with bone on. The sweet and salty taste of the thick soy sauce blended well with the hot chili and tangy chopped garlic.





At Ah Hong, the new generation of owners combined the use of technology while keeping to tradition.


Orders are taken, and bills totalled with a wireless iPad.


Meanwhile, this simple old style menu on a board lets customers and staff know at a glance what is available  and what is sold out  .

The service is friendly, efficient and attentive. I did not want to order any drinks as I have just drank a large juice elsewhere. Despite the crowds, at least 3 different staff members noticed that I did not have any drink and asked me what I would like to drink.


Ah Hong is also well known for its traditional Teochew style asam stewed fish and chicken stewed in rice wine which I must come back for.




Restaurant name: Kedai Makan Ah Hong
Address: 43, Jalan Bakek, Taman Bakek Jaya, Pontian, Johor (they have a branch in Taman Sutera Utama)
Map: http://g.co/maps/9gtvy
GPS: 1.482857, 103.392781
Hours:
Non Halal

Date visited: 16 Apr 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment