Pages

.

Rainbow Loom Anyone?

A few weeks ago my daughter was coming home from school sporting bracelets made from hair supplies.  I had no idea how they were made and I never thought to ask. 

I operate on a need to know basis.

Last weekend, these loom bracelets suddenly became a hot topic in the house.  Apparently the girl with all the rubber bands at recess decided only certain kids could use them to make bracelets.  Annoyed, my daughter asked for her own rubber bands.  I went to the craft store and I suddenly understood how big this fad really is.  There were warnings that no coupons were good on Rainbow Loom and there were about a million tiny bags of rubber bands all over the store.

I picked a few colors and went on about my day.

My daughter returned from school that afternoon and was overjoyed with the bands.  She immediately whipped out two fishtail bracelets.  The next day she wanted to go to the craft store and buy the loom.

The what?

I took her to the store and bought (without coupon) the Rainbow Loom.  She hurried home and went right on youtube.  She watched a video for hours on how to make a Starburst bracelet.  The girl instructing in the video couldn't have been more than ten years old. 

It was crazy.

Every time my daughter went to pull that bracelet off the loom it fell apart.  Tears of frustration would stream down her face.  She would start again.  And again.  After six hours, at 11pm, I sent her to bed.  I told her she was certifiable and needed to rest. 

And then I went right on youtube and attempted to make the Starburst Loom.  The first time I went to take it off the loom it fell apart.  I found a new instruction video, because I couldn't handle this girl any longer.  I needed an adult, I needed more detailed step-by-step than tween Ashly was providing. 

I was up until 1am working on that Starburst.  I passed out semi-successful. 

I'm happy to announce the next morning my daughter mastered the Starburst Rainbow Loom bracelet.  She went from frustration and tears to whipping out approximately one bracelet every ten minutes.  She has outfitted all of our arms with bracelets. 

Last night she complained that her younger brother is placing too many bracelet orders and it's getting "annoying."

Isn't that what little brothers are for?  To be annoying?  I spun the situation around quick and told her he's just proud to have a bracelet supplier right in his own house. 

When that didn't work I told her I funded this hobby and she'll make her brother bracelets.  That seemed to settle her down.  After all, I'm headed to the store today to restock the black and yellow bands.  If she wants 'em, she'll weave as many bracelets as her siblings request.

Are your kids Rainbow Looming?  How long is this fad going to last?  I'm thinking by Christmas the kids will be onto something else.

Maybe I can think of it next time and "funding" anything will never be an issue again.

Wishful thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment