Pages

.

Disney's The Little Mermaid (Enter to Win!)

I was ten years old when Disney's The Little Mermaid premiered in theaters.  While it was *gasp* twenty-three years ago, I still remember the words to the song 'Under the Sea.'

Every single word.

Growing up, my parents had a room in the back for my five siblings and me to watch our shows. It's safe to say that The Little Mermaid would NOT be playing on my Dad's TV in the "big room."  I sat in that back room for hours watching my VHS tapes (yes, VHS).

I can still see the blue canvas cushions that were on the couch.

My oldest daughter is ten now, and my younger daughter is four.  We have every Disney princess movie under the sun, and we watch them any time they are on television.  I do allow these films on our "big room" TV, because I'm completely guilty of loving them just as much as my kids do.  While I have a love for many Disney princesses, Ariel will always be a favorite. 

Raising girls is no easy task.  I deal with freak outs regarding pony tail bumps, clothes that don't "look" right, friends that aren't very friendly and questions about, well, just about everything.  Add in all the influences of social media and television, and raising girls is downright frightening.

Movies such as The Little Mermaid convey very important messages to my girls.  I push my girls to follow their dreams, to be kind and most importantly, to find their voices.  I imagine, as my girls continue to grow, there will be many times where they'll feel just like Ariel, where they try to speak but nothing comes out.

Standing up for yourself and what you believe is not easy.  Neither is standing up to not-so-honest friends and peer pressure.  My hope is that my daughters learn to listen to their inner voice, because this world can be awfully loud.

 

 


When I sit and watch favorite characters like Ariel, Scuttle, and Sebastian with my girls, the world disappears and we enjoy time together.  Even more important, my daughters are reminded to follow their dreams, even when the road isn't easy.

Disney's The Little Mermaid will be available for the first time on Blu-ray Combo Pack and HD Digital on October 1st.  If you don't have this classic in your house, I highly recommend treating your kids to this Disney movie.  Even better?  Grab a copy and save it for the holidays (can you believe we're only a few months away from Christmas?).

To be automatically entered to win a $50 Visa Gift Card and a Little Mermaid Diamond Edition Blu-ray Combo Pack, tell us in the comments below:

 “How do you encourage your children to follow their dreams?"

Rules:
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
a) Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
b) Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: ""#SweepstakesEntry""; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post"
c) Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
d) For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 9/3/13 - 10/15/13.
Be sure to visit the Disney's Little Mermaid page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ reviews and find more chances to win!

No comments:

Post a Comment