Pages

.

Chocolate Meringue Pie

When I was a kid, my Grandma Martin used to make me this pie for my birthday.

I used to love going to stay with her in the summer, she was quite the baker!

She always made a pie while I was there,  and while she was making it, there was always "extra crust" that she would bake with cinnamon and sugar on it.
YUM!

isn't it pretty??


For the longest time I struggled with the meringue, until I got my Kitchen aid mixer.... that thing ROCKS!!

Put the ingredients in, and let it whip until the meringue peaks!

This past weekend, I baked myself one, since she is no longer with me, I was feeling sentimental.

love this place mat! 


This pie isn't too sweet, and has a yummy chocolate custard!


The recipes that have been with us for ages, are always the best aren't they?

She never really "followed" a "recipe" but my Aunt Sue and Aunt Carol helped me work through this, so I could mimic it!

Grandma Martin's Chocolate Meringue Pie

custard:
2./3 cup sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks (save whites)
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 Tablespoons cocoa

single pie crust

meringue:
3 egg whites
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Form pie crust into pie plate and pre-bake for about 15 minutes, or until crust is a light golden brown. Set aside.

Combine custard ingredients in saucepan on the stove, on medium heat. Whip with a whisk until thickened, will be a thick pudding consistency.  About 15 minutes.

Pour into pie crust.


In your mixer, combine meringue ingredients.  Whip until meringue forms stiff peaks.
7-10 minutes.

Spread over chocolate custard.

Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes, until meringue becomes a light golden brown, and is no longer watery.

Cool and enjoy.

Store in the refrigerator.





No comments:

Post a Comment