Pages

.

Good Enough

When I was in eighth grade, my Language Arts teacher had a poster that hung above her chalkboard.  It read,

"Good enough, is NEVER good enough."
 
I didn't really get it, until she explained how much she disliked when students would ask if something was "good enough."  She continued with, "If you have ask if something is "good enough," it isn't."

Isn't that so very true?

I never forgot that moment, even though it was (gasp) twenty years ago.  That year, I'm certain I learned many important lessons, but that is the one I remember.  The one I took with me.

Since that day, and now being a mommy, I've realized how much I also dislike those words.  I don't like it when they are asked about homework, about cleaning a bedroom, weeding the yard or anything.  They represent work done half-heartedly, which drives me nutty.  If it's worth doing, do it right and do it well.

What a tough lesson to teach my kids.  It's a difficult line to walk, the line between doing the job right and your child feeling like you're a total drag, or even worse, that they aren't "good enough."

Ugh, those words.

I'm on my kids about manners, and keeping their rooms tidy.  They have to finish homework and read before bed.  I stick with gentle reminders, since I understand how overwhelming remembering everything can be.  I'm lucky if I remember my underpants.

With my reminders, I remind them to do the job well.  Write neatly, shake hands firmly and keep that laundry folded when it goes in the drawer.  My kids don't have to be perfect; they have to work hard.  I want them to show effort, to leave everything they touch better because they were there. 

There is no asking if anything is "good enough."  Do your best and leave your mark.  Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Even hugging your mama.

Have a fab Tuesday everyone, make it wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment