Pages

.

My Grandma's Stuffing

My Grandma Czaplewski always had Thanksgiving dinner.

When she passed away, a month after I gave birth to my first son, Spencer, we moved it to my Mom's, but the dinner stayed EXACTLY the same.

Every year, my Mom says " should I make something different? It's like the same 'ol same 'ol."
I always reply "NO!!"  
I am a creature of habit.  
It is a dinner that I look forward to every year, and I want it EXACTLY the same!!

I swear that last year, I took a photo of the stuffing with intentions of posting this year on my blog.
Can't find the darn picture ANYWHERE!!
So I guess, I will take one this year and add it after the fact.

*added after Thanksgiving 2012


Speaking of pictures, 
in this day and age, we take pictures of EVERYTHING!
I guess it's because, at the very least all (or most all) of us have a camera phone at our ready disposal.

I had to search to find a picture to share with you of my grandma and me to post on this entry! 

My favorite thing (next to the way it tastes!) about this recipe, 
is that it's one of the few recipes that I have that is in my Grandma's handwriting.

my grandma's recipe written for my recipe box YEARS ago!

As a scrapbooker, a person realizes the importance of handwriting.
It can't be duplicated, just like the person doing the writing cannot.

I spoke with my Mom last night, and shared the recipe that my Grandma wrote down for me some 25 years ago.  She has made some variations to the recipe, but strangely, it tastes the same to me?

So, I will share both of their versions with you today.

My husband, Brian, (then fiance) my Grandma and me, in 1991 at Easter


Grandma Czaplewski's Thanksgiving Stuffing

My Grandma's Version as it is written by her:

1 lb pork sausage
1 cup diced celery
1 cup minced onion
2 qts croutons (unseasoned)
1 tsp sage
2 Tbs snipped parsley

In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, sage, celery and onion together. About 10 minutes, or until sausage is cooked.
Add to bread crumbs and parsley.
Stuffs an 8# bird.

(I guess I make or use a little more croutons but still use the same amount of sausage and seasonings)


My Mom's version of the same:

Turkey giblets
2 lbs pork sausage
2 large packages Peppridge Farm bread crumbs (1 Herb Seasoned, 1 Country Style)

 



2 cups celery, divided
2 onions minced, divided
1 tsp sage
2 Tbs parsley
1 qt chicken broth, divided
i stick of butter, melted

Place giblets, 1 cup celery and 1 onion in a saucepan, pour half broth, half water just to cover.  Simmer on low for approximately one hour, or until giblets are tender.
Remove from heat.
Brown sausage with sage until cooked.
Chop turkey giblets until minced well. Reserve liquid to use when you are making your gravy.
Combine giblets, sausage, celery, onion, parsley with your bread crumbs.
Working with your hands, add  melted butter and small amounts of broth until dressing is moist, and forms into a ball.
Place in bird.

Bake your turkey until it is done, and enjoy the MOST AMAZING stuffing I have EVER had!!

Gobble til ya wobble, friends!!


No comments:

Post a Comment