Pages

.

Pancake French Toast

Over the weekend we had a lot going on.  You may have read about it on my blog, or maybe you also had a lot going on and you weren't reading anything.

Either way, I get it.

On days when we are running like maniacs I'm just about spent by the time dinner rolls around.  Poor Hubby always looks at me with hopeful eyes, wanting to go out and get dinner.  But the thought of dragging my four munchkins out to dinner exhausts me even more.  We discuss take out, and it becomes this big production, because we can never decide what to get.  The whole thing usually ends in me realizing for just about no money I can just make something to eat.

I'm pretty nifty when it comes to making diner style food.  And that's what I always whip up after a long day.  Saturday, it was my newest concoction, pancake battered french toast.
The difference between french toast soaked in pancake batter is slight, but divine.  This french toast was thick, and had more of a sweet pancake taste than a cinnamon-y taste.  My munchkins ate every last piece, and even Hubby dug in.

When everyone eats without complaint I call it a home run.  When you have overnight guests, try making this and adding a side of sliced strawberries.

Easy.  A tad different.  And a real palate pleaser.

Pancake French Toast
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
12 slices bread (thick, hearty bread works best)

Heat griddle.  Beat eggs well in large bowl, add remaining ingredients.  Drop 1-2 slices of bread in at a time, and let them soak for a minute.  Turn carefully and make sure they are saturated with batter.

I like to melt butter on the griddle to "fry" my french toast a bit, but they will cook delicious either way.

Cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes, flip and repeat.  Always check centers to make sure they are cooked through.

Serve dusted with powdered sugar, butter and syrup.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment