Pages

.

Lasagna Soup

lasagna soup



My friend Candi, over at The Devilish Dish is an amazing cook!!

Anytime she posts a recipe I know I will like it.
(so far she hasn't posted anything with liver or brussel sprouts....)

When she posted this one back in the Fall, I knew I would have to try it.

My family LOVES Pasta and we LOVE soup, so it was a win-win situation!

Candi and I have been friends for a long time.  Almost 15 years. She and I have so much in common, I swear God knew we needed to be friends and put her in that Scrapbooking class I was teaching back in 1997!

One thing that we have in common, we are both a little bit of a rebel.
It's okay. We were raised on Hair Band 80's music --- so it goes with the territory right?


we love our hair band concerts!! (and on those days...Aqua Net!!)


Well, being the rebel I am, I didn't EXACTLY follow her recipe.
That and the fact that I had already been to the store 3 days in a row and managed to STILL not have everything that I needed.

So, I add-libbed.
And because she's my friend, and I know that's JUST how she cooks... tweaking and making it her own, I know that she will understand.

For her recipe click here:


Lasagna Soup

2 lbs ground beef
1 medium onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5 oz cans of petite diced tomatoes (with juice)
1 - 16 oz jar of spaghetti sauce (I like to use Marinara)
4 tsp chicken bouillon (or 4 cubes)
4 tsp beef bouillon
6 cups of water
2 tsp of Italian spice
1/2 thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 box lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
ricotta (optional)
 shredded mozzarella cheese

In a soup pot over medium heat brown your ground beef with onion and garlic.  Salt and Pepper to taste.
Drain grease.  To the ground beef mixture add the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, bouillon, water and spices and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes.
Stir in broken lasagna noodles and cook until they are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Remove bay leaf.  Add Parmesan cheese to soup about 5 minutes before serving and stir in.
Ladle into bowls and top with ricotta and mozzarella cheese.

My notes: We are not fans of ricotta cheese at my house.  When I make regular lasagna, I use cottage cheese.  So I added this to the ingredients, but we didn't use it.  It tasted AMAZING with just the shredded cheese. I actually bought shredded Italian blend cheese.
When you make lasagna, there are always a couple of broken noodles in the box it seems. I always have a couple of extra, too. When I do, I throw them in a Ziploc bag and keep adding to them, then I'm ready for a quick batch of lasagna soup!  That's one other thing about this soup, it's one of those that most likely the ingredients are in your pantry right now!  Like most soups, this recipe works well in the crock pot, After browning your meat, dump it all in the crock pot and let it cook on low all day. Add Parmesan cheese about 10 minutes before your serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment