Pages

.

Sibling Mixes

I've found in my family that certain mixes of kids work better than others.  My oldest and my youngest? 

Good mix.


My two boys?  Loud mix.

My two middle kids?  Harmonious mix.

My two youngest kids?  A mix of petty arguments.

Two daughters?  Mostly fire and sometimes not-so-nice-ice.

I noticed at dinner the other night that no matter where we go, this is the situation.  I have to think long and hard about who can sit where when we dine out.  Or ride in the car. 

Usually, as long as everyone's mood is light we're good.  There is happiness.  But if anyone is rambunctious, mad, pissy or hyperactive to all heck, we need to remember who can be where to keep peace.  Otherwise I'm batpoop crazy playing referee and trying to quiet the area down.

Growing up, it was my oldest brother on his own, myself and my brother who was 16 months older than me, and my two younger brothers.

Those were the splits.  Then my sister came along, and she was in her own little world.

As we grew older, the groups changed a few times and now we all happily hang and love each other.  There is nothing like siblings; for me they are my allies, my friends and my support.  I'm blessed to have them, and my kids are as well.

And in the long run, the sibling mixes in our family will change and evolve, and I pray for a large unit of close, well adjusted adults.  For kids who love eachother the same way they do now, forever.

What are the mixes in your house?  Who gets along with who? 

No comments:

Post a Comment