Pages

.

Rock On, and BE YOU


I have a friend who wears neon clothes and big hats.  She buys pink-rimmed sunglasses and loves Halloween.  She is free-spirited, kind and doesn’t give a hoot what anyone thinks about her or her style.  She is different and her choice of attire sets her apart from everyone else I know.

It’s awesome.

Every time I see this friend she makes me happy; I find her refreshing and inspiring.  My friend embraces what is different and stays true to what makes her happy.  She doesn’t care what is cool, what is in or what is expensive.  She is who she is, and that never goes out of style.  Her four kids have learned from her example to be themselves, which is one of the most important lessons a parent can teach.  Being unique is the only way to be, since this world would be dreadfully boring if everyone was the same. 

Since knowing this friend, I dusted off my strange and brought it back full force.  I let go of worrying about if my kids match or if they are wearing snow boots in June.  I do what pleases me and not what is expected.  I’ve found that being me is where it’s at, no matter how strange my real self is at times.

There is no better feeling than being YOU.  Everyone, no matter age, should feel the luxury of being themselves. 

If anyone needs help letting go and finding their inner weird, Cigna has created “Facestrument,” a Facebook game that turns your face into a musical instrument.   The app uses your webcam to capture your face, and you try to score points winking, smiling and head shaking to the beat of a song.  In the middle of a regular, run-of-the-mill day, this app will really make you smile and bring out your crazy.

For the record, I am terrible at this game.  The only accomplishment I made is looking strange.  Which felt great regardless.  Watching my video back made me smile, and I immediately went back for more.

Don’t let the day-to-day grind drain you and zap your creative, weird side.  From neon pants to Facestrument apps, remind yourself who you are and what you’re all about.  There is only one you, so rock on and be yourself!
Visit the Cigna GO YOU Facestrument Brand Page on BlogHer.com to find more bloggers playing Facestrument!

No comments:

Post a Comment