Pages

.

Tin & Tin (Cathay) Beef Noodles along Jalan Lumba Kuda, Johor Bahru, Malaysia


I first visited Ah Teng when I just started Johor Kaki blog and soon after he started his Hainanese beef noodle stall in Shang Ji kopitiam in Jalan Lumba Kuda.
 

Ah Teng was as friendly and cheerful as ever.
 
Kelvin learning the ropes under the watchful tutelage of Ah Teng

Today, Ah Teng was joined by his son, Kelvin.
 

Like the last time, I had Ah Teng's RM7 dry beef kway teow.

Ah Teng who started selling beef noodles forty years ago, told me that he was constantly modifying his beef kway teow dish based on customer feedback. I noticed that the kiam chye topping I enjoyed at the last visit was now gone.


Ah Teng's syrupy gravy was more delicious than ever. Ah Teng told me that his gravy was brewed for many hours with old hens, large beef bones and bits of beef.
 

The gravy was a smooth, delicious blend of robust beefy flavour with savoury sweet and salty notes.
 

The tasty herbal soup was also beefy with hints of flavour that reminded me of that ubiquitous old British Marmite beef essence spread that I had as a boy, years ago.
 

Look at the generous amount of beef parts in the soup :)
 
 
I really enjoyed this tender, chewy piece of sinewy, marbled beef.
 

I just love these pieces of tender, jelly like yet savoury beefy tendons. It's got just the right texture, bounce and taste - awesome.
 

Super tender and smokey textured, naturally sweet beef tripe. Ah Teng told me that beef tripe needs constant watching during the tedious braising process to get just the right texture.


Ah Teng's chili sauce deserves a mention. Tangy, hot, and grainy from the bits of fresh ground chili. Goes very well with the beef parts without overwhelming the beefy flavours.

Picture suitably cropped for General Audiences :)

I noticed these curious looking pieces and asked Ah Teng what were these? They were beef penis 牛鞭. Ah Teng prepares two of these everyday. Ah Teng said each piece is about 3 feet long?!! "Does anyone asked for these?!" I asked incredulously. Ah Teng replied matter-of-factly with a cheeky grin and twinkle in his eye, "Sold out every day" and regular customers often called in early to reserve.
 
Actually, the same applies to the other less esoteric beef parts as well - Ah Teng sold out of everything, everyday by 2:00pm.

 
 
Restaurant name: Tin & Tin (Cathay) Beef Noodles
Address: 141 & 142, Jalan Lumba Kuda, Bukit Chagar, Johor Bahru
Map: http://g.co/maps/qysgr
GPS: 1.461162, 103.767403
Hours
No pork, no lard

Date visited: 7 Sep 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment