Pages

.

Chee Cheong Fun 豬腸粉 @ Restoran Kampar CS in Taman Johor Jaya, Johor Bahru, Malaysia


Kampar 金宝 is a charming, quaint little town near Ipoh in Perak famous for its chee cheong fun. I heard about the two stalls in JB selling Kampar style chee cheong fun; one is Restoran Kampar CS in Taman Johor Jaya, and the other is Restoran G Cheong Fun in Taman Ungku Tun Aminah (TUTA).
 
 
We've tried G Cheong Fun in TUTA before, and today we were at Kampar CS.
 

In the Kampar style of chee cheong fun, the steamed sheets of rice flour are hand cut into narrow strips that looked like thick kway teow.
 

While eating at Kampar CS, you will hear the never ending "tok, tok, tok" sound of the boss, MR Wong, chopping the chee cheong fun.
 

Kampar chee cheong fun is eaten with a variety of different gravy and sauces as well as accompanying side dishes.
 

I had curry gravy, steamed pork skin and steamed long beans.
 

The fun 粉 felt soft and light tasting. The hand made fun  粉 was not oily (unlike mass produced chee cheong fun which is usually coated with a layer of greasy, tacky substance). The fun 粉 was relatively thick and felt slightly grainy, partly due to the bits of dried shrimp peppering it. The fun 粉 does a good job of soaking up the curry gravy. The curry coated fun 粉 was smooth and was fun to gently chew.

At Kampar CS, the fun  粉 is made on the spot and sold right away - so it's always fresh.
 

The steamed long beans were a surprise. I didn't specifically asked for it but was served it anyway. First time I had steamed long beans, and I liked it. The natural sweetness of the vegetable was clearly present. And, what got my attention was the nice soft bite of steamed long beans. I used to always eat my long beans stir fried or raw, so they often felt stringy or fibrous. So, now I have a new way to eat my long beans, which I liked better.
 

The steamed fried pork skin is my favourite side dish with chee cheong fun :) The steamed pork skin sponged up the curry gravy well.
 

The skin was soft, slightly chewy and jelly like to the bite, yet it was savoury and spicy tasting.



The sambal chili was good too. Not too spicy and the taste of dried shrimp was clearly present.
 

I also like the Kampar speciality, bean curd stick with fish. Crunchy, crispy and savoury. Try it, if you haven't :)

I've been to the charming town of Kampar only a couple of times and that, more than ten years ago. So, I cannot tell how Kampar CS's chee cheong fun compares with the hometown version.

All I can say is that I liked the chee cheong fun that I had at Restoran Kampar CS.


Restaurant name: Restoran Kampar CS 豬腸粉
Address: 12, Jalan Dedap 13, Taman Johor Jaya, Johor Bahru
Map: http://goo.gl/maps/TCsu2
GPS: 1.539681,103.804138
Hours: 7:00am to 4:00pm (closed on Monday)
Non Halal

Date visited: 26 Sep 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment