Pages

.

Disney Road Trip: How We Survive Nineteen Hours

I post often about Disney.  It's one of my favorite places in the world.  It ranks right up there with my mom's kitchen and a warm toasty fire on a chilly fall afternoon.

After having four kids, it's safe to say flying to Disney is too expensive.  If we went every few years we would probably just save the money and fly like birds on Jet Blue.  Or Delta.  Or Southwest.

But we try to go every year.

A few years ago, I had to lay it on the line to Hubby.  It was either we drive, or we don't go.  I believe my words were, "Vacation and drive, or no vacation..."

I believe his response was  "Ugh....."  There may have even been a tear sliding down his cheek.

We live in the northeast, and our road trip to Disney takes about nineteen hours if we drive straight through.  Yes, nineteen long hours with four kids in the car.  It's enough to make some parents want to stick needles in their eyes.

Since I was blessed with phenomenal parents, and a mother who instinctively knows how to make everything 
easier, I have several road trip tricks under my belt.  My parents drove their six kids every few years, and this was without DSi's, ipods and car televisions.

I can't even imagine the horror.

In all seriousness, I do have a few tricks to get our family to Disney without any major meltdowns.  It's fairly easy, if you have patience and the will to drive nineteen hours.


1.  Pack coolers.  Stock your car with a cooler jam packed with drinks, snacks, fruit and anything else you'll desire for the trip.  Pack bread and PB&J, or grab deli sandwiches to bring along.  More on the lunch items in #8.

I recommend Red Bulls, Five Hour Energy, Beef Jerky and nibble candy like Twizzlers for the driver.  These items really do help keep drivers alert.  I have vivid memories of my father driving the motorhome munching on beef jerky and listening to Jimmy Buffett.

2.  In the cooler, pack a damp washcloth.  Nothing keeps you awake like a cold towel.

3.  Every child should have their own pillow to rest.

4.  The day you plan to leave, have the driver sleep after dinner and aim to leave later in the evening.  For the first leg of the trip, arm every child with an activity, whether it be DSi, video or Nook.  The idea is to drive while the kids sleep, as far south (or east) as possible.  My kids fall asleep in the car, snuggling their pillow and playing their games or watching a movie.  When they wake up, we are already eight to nine hours into our trip. 

5.  Stop for a cheap, quick breakfast.  We never eat McDonald's for breakfast unless we are on the road.  The kids can stretch their legs, use the bathroom and fill their tummies.

6.  Pack a "surprise bag" for every child to open after you stop for breakfast.  I usually stock up on clearance toys and other goodies after Christmas and Easter.  I fill goodie backpacks for the kids before our trip, and I make a BIG deal about how they can open the bag AFTER breakfast during our roadtrip.  This creates excitement, and gives them something to look forward to mid trip.

It also buys us approximately three more hours on the road without "are we there yets?" because the munchkins are busy as beavers with new figures, coloring supplies and books.

7.  Switch drivers after breakfast if you haven't done so already.  We have Hubby sleep before we leave, and I try to catch a few Zzzzz's during the first few hours on the road.  After breakfast, I drive a bit and Hubby sleeps.

8.  Stop for lunch, I recommend a picnic style rest area.  If you are in the south, chances are the weather should be mild.  Everyone will enjoy the fresh air.  This is also the time to make those PB&J's and enjoy those deli sandwiches.

9.  When you enter Florida, stop at the Florida Welcome Center.  This tradition was started by my father, and I cherish the memories of "Welcome to Florida" sign and the free fresh squeezed orange juice.

10.  When the kids start to get antsy, play games such as "How many different state license plates can we find?"  Have the front seat passenger keep a record of all the plates.  Discuss what state you are in, and let the kids hop out when you stop for gas for photos in as many states as possible.  Collect post cards if you see them.

12.  On the way back from FL, book a room halfway.  The ride down is exciting; the ride back is not as exciting.  Spend your morning in Florida, and hit the road around lunch.  Stop halfway (or about) and book a hotel with an indoor pool.  Your kids will thank you for the opportunity to rest, swim and recharge.

Naturally, we would prefer to fly because it's much less painless than driving for an entire day.  However, our money tree never sprouted despite the many times I have attempted to grow one.  Another bonus to a car in Disney is having the freedom to grocery shop and eat outside the parks.

As always, any advice you need feel free to email!   Jodie@allgoodinmommyhood.com

Happy Trails!


No comments:

Post a Comment