Pages

.

Double Chocolate Orange Cupcakes with Orange Butter Cream Frosting

double chocolate orange cupcake with orange butter cream

Sometimes you find a recipe that just screams your name, and this one did that for me!

A while back, Starbucks had an orange mocha. I guess it wasn't the hit for everyone that it was for me, and I am sure my waistline secretly thanks them all for that, but I sure do miss that coffee goodness!

When I ran across this recipe I knew I had to make it.  I had been wanting to make cupcakes in a jar, and this one seemed just perfect for the task at hand.

yumminess in a jar

When I mixed the batter up, I couldn't get over how THICK it was.  It was like scooping chocolate pudding into the cupcake liners!

When they baked, they were enormous!

warm out of the oven, delightful delectable chocolate

I made the first batch into regular cupcakes. I couldn't get over the light airy and yet oh so chocolaty cake!  Just when I was containing myself about that...I made the Orange Butter Cream!

As the kids say... OMG.

love how the flash made the streams of light behind it... I can almost hear the angels sing!

It was the first week of school and I was making these for the school carnival cake walk.  But I then decided it was a must to make some for my "girls." I have a little click of friends that we periodically have lunch throughout the school year.  I love to have a little something waiting for them at their place when they arrive for lunch. The last week of school it was the "Last Week of School Mom's Taxi Fuel" so I decided it was only fitting to have something special for them the first week BACK to school!

That special something was this divine cupcake in a crystal jelly jar!

in a jar with handmade tags

So, I know you're chanting...

 GIMME THE RECIPE! GIMME THE RECIPE!!

So settle down.... here you go! ;)




Double Chocolate Orange Cupcakes with Orange Butter Cream Frosting



The Cake:
1 (12-oz.) package NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Semisweet Chocolate Morsels, divided
1 (18.25-oz.) package German chocolate cake mix
4 large eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 1/4 cups orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
1. Microwave 1 cup chocolate morsels in a 2-cup glass measuring cup at HIGH 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly.

2. Beat cake mix and next 3 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer until moistened. Increase speed to medium, and beat 1 to 2 minutes or until well blended and smooth. Add melted chocolate and vanilla, beating until blended. Spoon batter by 1/4-cupfuls into paper baking cups in muffin pans.

3. Bake at 375° for 16 to 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread Orange Butter Cream Frosting evenly over cupcakes.

4. Place remaining chocolate morsels in a 1-qt. zip-top plastic freezer bag; seal bag. Microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) 45 seconds to 1 minute, turning bag over after 30 seconds. Squeeze chocolate in bag until smooth. Cut a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag. Pipe melted chocolate over Orange Butter Cream Frosting on cupcakes by gently squeezing bag.

The Frosting:
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1 (16-oz.) package confectioners sugar
2 to 3 Tbsp. orange juice

1. Beat butter and orange rind at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add confectioners sugar, beating until well blended.

2. Stir in 2 Tbsp. orange juice, adding additional orange juice, if necessary, to reach desired consistency
 
When I made the cupcakes in a jar, I cut the top of the cupcake off, and sank the bottom into the jar. I piped frosting over it, sprinkled chocolate chips, then added the top of the cupcake, piped more frosting and added more chips. Tied the fork onto the jar with a ribbon and cute little tag, and Viola!
 
Gifts fit for my sweet friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment