Pages

.

Little King Salad - It's like a Hoagie in a Bowl!


Little King Salad


Before there were Subway Sandwiches, or Blimpie or Jimmy John's, here where I grew up, we had Little King Deli. If you wanted a deli style hoagie this is where you went.  Their signature sandwich, number 11 on the menu, is The Royal Treat, and THAT it is!!  Now when I can't make it to the deli for a sandwich, I have another option: Little King Salad. It's like their lip smackin' sandwich, in a bowl!


little king salad

A friend of mine had asked for the recipe a couple of days ago, and I just plain couldn't get it out of my mind!!  It's been SO HOT here, on the menu a couple days a week have been salads! My kids get super excited when I make this one though, because it's not a fru-fru salad... It's a fill you up kinda thing!


full of deli style meats, cheeses and it's own home made dressing


Here is the basic recipe, below it, I have shared my tips and tricks.

Little King Salad

Salad:

1 head iceberg lettuce chopped
1/4 lb chopped ham
1/4 lb chopped turkey
1/4 lb chopped hard salami
1/4 lb pepperoni
1 red onion sliced
2 tomatoes sliced
1 C shredded cheese (provolone or Swiss are best)
Italian Hard Rolls

Dressing:

3/4 c Olive oil
1/4 c tarragon vinegar
1/8 t pepper
1/2 t dried oregano
1 t salt
1/4 t garlic powder

Mix up dressing, pour over salad ingredients, toss well. Before you serve throw in torn up pieces of Italian hard rolls.
From experience:
You can use all of the meat flavors, like it calls for, or just use the ones that you like. i like to use them all. I like to chop some, Juliane some, and for the pepperoni, I love the mini ones!!  I prefer the provolone cheese when I make it. It calls for shredded cheese, but I buy it in the deli section, of the grocery (have them cut it a little thicker) and Julianne cut it instead.  The original recipe calls for iceberg lettuce, that is how I made it for the photo.  I prefer romaine, but again, to each their own! When it comes to tomatoes, I prefer to use the Roma style ones. The Italian hard rolls are best.  They stand up better to the dressing, if you are in Nebraska, I always use the Rotella Bakery ones! Lastly, to me, a little red onion goes a long way, so I usually use less than the recipe calls for.   Follow it how the recipe reads, or if you're like me teak it until it's your own! Anyway you slice it, you won't be sorry you made this one!


Want to check out Little King?

No comments:

Post a Comment